June 7th, 2010
Now boarding, Alaska flight 38
Good-bye Seattle. Hello Minneapolis.
Waiting for me below… AlmostUtopia. If only MN had an ocean - it’d truly be Utopia. What a beautiful state filled with beautiful people. Beautiful, friendly, nice people. Minnesota Nice people.
I was just getting over a cold, and then I got hammered with it while in MN (I blame my flight) - so I’m missing lots of bits and pieces of market. Missing photos, missing people who I wanted to see but didn’t/couldn’t. An abbreviated, prescription drug induced snapshot of my trip to Market. I could not have made it through Market without my Nurse Nightingale when I was so sick, and my interpreter when I lost my voice - Pam. And to my roomie Karen - you took such great care of me and made me feel so loved and cared for. Thank you Pam & Karen - from the top, bottom, sides and middle of my heart!!!!!
Twilight on Crack Hotel
Or to someone who’s hip, young, trendy, cool and likes sleeping in a black box and showering with a wall of window to the bedroom - and showering with essentially a shiny garden hose for a shower head, (or has a really cool suite like The Pioneer Woman did)… then you must give The W Hotel in Minneapolis a go. Bottom right) ME: Hey Karen, what’s the weather like today? KAREN: Sunny with a chance of brick.
1) Showin’ off her bling - cuter than cute Lizzy.
2) For YEARS we’ve been blog/flickr pals… I FINALLY get to meet The Adorable One - That silly lil Doe.
3) Funny-girl Kathy of Teacher’s Pet. Are those boxes for meeeeeeeee?!
4) Another one of my blog/flickr pals… me and Miss Minnesota Nice Mary of Mary on Lake Pulaski fame. Mary was as nice as I imagined her to be + 1000 times more.
5) Cara - we met over having some words. Words with Friends, that is! Cara’s first time as an exhibitor. Yay Cara!
6) All around sweethearts and Sample Spree queue entertainers… Jennifer, Kaye, Stefanie, Doe & Cara. Are Stefanie and Doe just not too cute?! If I were Paula Abdul I’d want to squish them/squeeze their heads off and dangle them from my rear-view mirror. But I’m not Paula - so I’d like me a set of Stephanie & Doe salt and pepper shakers. Or S & D bobble heads.
7) No photos, I only heard rumors… that Carrie saved the day for Vickie at the Lecien table and snagged her the last bundle of Holiday Happy for her. Carrie is not just a rockstar and Schnibble Queen… but she’s my hero too!
Brit’s Pub… on EVERYBODY’S list to eat at. Pam and I are able to snag a table in the much coveted shade at Brit’s Pub. Outdoor eateries in Minneapolis are plentiful and wonderful. A foodie’s paradise.
Mother/daughter dynamic dynamo - Cherri & Lizzy’s Cake Party to celebrate Cherri’s breathtaking new book City Quilts and Lizzy’s adorable newest fabric line Castle Peeps from Andover.
1) Yes, I’d love a piece of that one, Lizzy.
2) Melissa’s friend Unicorn tries to french kiss Flat Nat… and Jana (aka Carol) behind her does nothing to stop it.
3) Scott brought me an RX all the way from Seattle. I heard whisperings that he brought a bag for Patty, too.
4) Who’s this? OIC… it’s Caroline of jcaroline.
5) The cool kids table - smile and say “Glee!” -Beth, Melissa, John and Scott.
Eat, again? Ok!
L to R:
1) Me with Flat Nat toss ala Mary Tyler Moore. It’s Minneapolis. It’s the law.
2) Pam, Cyndi and I have the best salads for dinner at the News Room. And lucky Cyndi gets carded for beer. I got offered the senior menu.
3) On Radio KPKM I said I was going to be Pam’s weather girl. So here it is. Minneapolis was hot. Not unbearable hot… but hot enough to want to traipse in the fountain.
Goodness in the Lecien booth - Flower Sugar II, my Holiday Happy (pinch me) and Brenda’s beautiful Durham “Anew“.
In the line-up… aaaaah-dorable sweet Kate, me (apparently I either forgot to do a mirror check - or - my goal for the day was to look like a gaucho from Fogo de Chão. Steaks anyone?), Brenda, Pam and Nireko.
Karen, Pam, Elizabeth, Keiko, Brenda, Meg, Jennifer, Nireko and Tracy made some of the most AMAZING samples for the Lecien booth - check out their blogs and see what they made - the booth was oozing in cuteness thanks to them. (I hope I didn’t leave anyone out!!! Please let me know if I did). Cover your keyboard with a drool towel.
Izzy & Ivy
Oh. My. Gosh. I love Team Izzy & Ivy! I called my mom and asked if I could keep them. She said no. Too cute for words… so they get four pics. L to R: Jana, Shasta and Jenny. My new BFF’s + medical team + everything. By far the coolest, hippest (I bet they would like the W), funnest, darlingest peeps at Market. I can’t wait for SLC next year. I think Team Izzy & Ivy is going to turn Utah upside down and back up again. As if they haven’t already.
Vegemite not included
The Roo Crew from Down Under!
1) Lynette from Lynette Anderson Designs. Not just a friend, but a twitter and Word with Friends pal. It was so wonderful to finally meet her. And she’s so lovely and fun - as I knew she would be!
2) Anni from Hatched and Ptched. Lynette intoduced me to her - and like every Aussie I’ve ever met… so friendly and nice. Australia… the Minnesota of the southern hemisphere. Aussie Nice.
3) Kellie and crew from Don’t Look Now! Who is that pulling a Wilson behind that pillow?! Hey, it’s my lovely sister-wife Anna! Well if Anna is in Minnesota, and I’m in Minnesota… then it must be sister-wife Sarah’s turn to be with hubby.
4) Aussie, Aussie, Aussie… oi, oi, oi - wish you were there Natalie Lymer (aka Flat Nat’s mum), Rosalie and Natalie Ross too!
Don’t look now…
But there’s a constant, HUGE crowd at the Don’t Look Now booth. No suprise - jaw dropping gorgeous, happy and unique. You can’t help but smile when you see the amazing quilts of DLN. Even the rockstars come to see DLN. I’m sooooo in awe of the masterpieces cranked out by Kellie. Awe. If Don’t Look Now comes to a show near you… RUN, not walk to it.
From the Land of Tall Trees
My Oregon, Washington & Montana friends. Clockwise:
1) My sweet friend Mo of Lime Gardenias. Just over the hill from me - why we’re practically neighbors. If we were crows. And we flew. Mo’s big debut of her gorgeous Party Dress line with Blue Hill Fabrics. I sure wish Mo could have been at Market!!
2) Also in Mo’s neighborhood is Michelle from Busy Bee Quilt Designs. Michelle was MIA while I was at her booth, but luckily I caught her mom Birdie. I’ve been lucky enough to sew with Michelle and Birdie. Well… they sewed… and I danced with my chair.
3) Just up the river (the Columbia) in SE Washington is Crabapple Hill. I love Crabapple Hill and have made countless embroideries using CH patterns. I even won a blue ribbon on my quilt with the Crabapple embroidery on it. I finally got to meet Meg… the genious behind CH and fellow COSMO floss user!
4) Sandi, Sandi, Sandi… my dear and amazing friend and my milk buddy for life. Or as Sandi calls me… her milk soul mate. Yea… we both love milk THAT much. I have photos of Sandi… but saving them for my [future] Iowa post. Oh, and DYING over Sandi’s chairs. Montana monschmana… those chairs look like they’d much rather go to Oregon.
5) The Anne’s! L to R, Anne B. of Cottons n’ Wool and Anne S. of Bunny Hill. I’m *related* to The Anne’s by both our Oregon and Walnut Creek connections. And because I’m Super Fan #1. I’m so excited for Anne S. - who has joined the Moda family - and joined in a big way with the debut of her oh so yummy Lily & Will. YEAY Anne! I heart The Anne’s soooo much! If you’re counting… I typed “Anne” seven times. Eight.
6) My pal, my sistah-friend, my neighbor, my lunch buddy, my roomie, my travel pal, my personal shopper… Karen is like having a dozen friends all lovingly wrapped into one awesome friend. Karen’s latest beautiful line Dear Dorothy debuted at the Timeless Treasure. And just look at the sample in her fabric… it’s an Izzy & Ivy pattern!
7) My oldest and bestess and dearest and funnest friends Leslie. We were neighbors at one time - like only a block from each other neighbors. We were inseparable, from sun -up to sun-down… until she moved back to Michigan. There were rumors we wanted to start our own commune - but instead - Leslie’s mom opened up Hearts to Holly quilt shop. Leslie is the person responsible for putting a rotary cutter back in my hand somewhere around 1999. When Leslie and I do get to see each other, there’s a photo we take to show her kids that Leslie is growing taller and I am shrinking. If anyone saw me bawling at the MCC… it’s because I had to say good-bye (again @#$!) to Leslie.
Mi amore, those who I adore
1) Clockwise: Elizabeth “MacGruber” Stumbo (my BFF, my mug-arita buddy and super stylist for all things APQ/Quilt Sampler/Q&M), Jill Abelo Mead (my Quilts & More editor and my cheerleader and she’s got a sassy new hair-do!), Karen, Linzee (freelancer to the House of Meredith - she’s like me… but she quilts with letters and writes beautiful profiles in American Patchwork & Quilting and Quilts & More), Pam and me.
2) Sherri of Sherri Falls of This & That fame. Pam (who knows EVERYBODY) introduced us - we would soon be going to Iowa together, so Pam and Roseann both thought I should meet her right away - not to waste ONE MINUTE of not knowing her. To say I adore Sherri is an understatement. More on Sherri in a future post.
3) Bonnie and Camillie - another amazing and adorable mother/daughter dynamic dynamo! A. Dor. Able.
I spy - some happy for my eyes
1) I love Riley Blake. Love them!
2) Pillow & Maxfield. Loved their booth, loved them.
3) Cara’s first time as an exhibitor. Yay Cara!
4) Lakehouse Dry Goods… I love all things Lakehouse. Every market I tell Holly I want to move into her booth. One day I will be sucessful.
5) Hemma Design… a Swedish inspried company from Minnesota. Really caught my eye (and Karen’s too). Love the simple happy look of Kathy’s [Kathy on right, Mary on the left] that’s oh so Swedish.
6) Last but not least… check out the delicious yummies fo dear sweet wonderful Nanette of Freda’s Hive fame made for the RJR booth. Darling! The only thing better than seeing Nanette’s yummies… would have been to have had Nanette there with them!
Checking out… Checking in
Good-bye Minneapolis (and the crazy Twilight on Crack hotel)… Hello Des Moines (and your beautiful vintage hotels filled with light and brightness). Lots to show. Lots to tell. I’m still on a Cinderella high - I’ll be blogging my Iowa trip after I rest up.
Now it’s time for dessert
Fresh from the oven… a little Holiday Happy to go around. I was going to do a give-away with 2 fat quarter bundles of my Holiday Happy - but one of the fat quarter bundles had unprotected sex and gave birth to 4 little fat quartlettes (9″ x 10½” cuts). So 5 winners instead of 2. One comment per person - no fuss no muss… just leave a comment by noon PST on 6/14/10. I’ll have random.org pick the winners. EDITED IN: Contest is now over - anything past comment #506 is too late (sorry). Winners to be announced shortly.
I still need to add who I wanted to see but couldn’t make it… and who was there but somehow missed them… and who I saw but didn’t get a picture of (need to draw my pics) - but It took me 3 days to finish this post/edit the photos - so I’ll write a part two-er to this. I really should double check for typos and make sure all the links are correct…. I’m taking a nap.
Posted in Quilt Market |