Thursday, February 7th, 2013
Recently a “5 Things About Me” meme happily blazed through on Instagram, and now the Modern Quilt Guild is promoting the meme so those going to QuiltCon in Austin can pre-meet before the big event. So fun to read everyone’s, and in most cases some really awesome surprises about people!
1. This is me. Every day is a bad day hair, so when I get that occasional 8 minute window of straight hair from a freshie blow-dry, I jump at the chance to take a pic of the rare hair event. Even if it means I’m bra-less and in my jammies. I will not look like this at QuiltCon - I will look like Hugo Hurley in girl clothes. And wearing a bra.
2. I hate the sun. I was born and raised in California, then moved to Hawaii. Nothing but sun, sun and more sun. Moving to Astoria, Oregon (the greyest, wettest place in the United States) is my Utopia because I have reverse SAD. Not that I don’t love a pretty sunny day… I just love them in moderation.
3a. I have an iPhone case problem. I didn’t call it an addiction until I rounded up a few of them to take this photo. There are more. Lots more.
3b. I got an iPad for Christmas. A new addiction is brewing.
4. I once had a really vivid dream about Jon Stewart, so I count him as an ex-boyfriend.
5. I was an extra in the movie The Right Stuff for college credit (I didn’t get paid, but worth it because it raised my GPA). I’m in the big BBQ scene and the fan dancer scene - and I have never seen myself (I don’t even know if I made it on to the film) because I detest seeing myself on video/TV/film.
– The Modern Quilt Guild
– QuiltCon Link Party
– my Instagram
– Jon Stewart/The Daily Show
Blerg - I have to put this in a post in order to claim my blog on Bloglovin:
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Tuesday, January 8th, 2013
How I love me a good Sharpie!
Saturday, September 29th, 2012
I was so over calling mug rugs, "mug rugs" even before I knew what one was. I have an arsenal of really bad names, but my mom doesn’t know I know these words. So I had to think of something that wasn’t NSFM. So I’m trying "quiltini" on for size.
My two latest quiltini’s - which I’m pretty I make just so I can bind something.
Saturday, September 15th, 2012
For years I’ve been complaining about Safeway’s policy for their checkers to acknowledge their customers by name. A simple friendly hello and thank you will do. Add a smile to that, and it’s golden. For years I’ve shuddered as the Safeway checkers:
1. … say my name out loud for all to hear - thanks Safeway, that vomit smelling tweeker behind me now knows my name.
2. … try to pronounce my name (BTW Safeway, it’s SO-LORI-O, not Solano, not Solerno, not Solomon, and certainly not Celery [though I will answer to Oreo]).
3. … pretend that they’re not reading my name off the receipt and act like they know me.
4. … seem to be just as pained to have to follow the silly policy.
Since Safeway won’t change it’s policy on their customers’ privacy - I took matters into my own hands and changed my name to MJÖNÄS STRÅLANDE BJÖRNBÄR on my Club Card. Revenge is
sweet Swede… thank you, IKEA catalog - you’re the best!
I have never been so excited in anticipation for my next grocery shopping trip. Hjolla.
UPDATED! I went shopping!!
I think I want to change my name again - to something fun or cute so it’s fun for the checkers, too. The stupid Safeway “naming policy” is just as bad for the checkers as it is the customer - hoping there’s a wave of name changes. If we can’t beat em - we should all at least have some fun.
Wednesday, July 18th, 2012
It’s Where I Sew Month 2012 at Pink Chalk Fabrics, and today is my day! I’m so very thrilled to be gracing the Pink Chalk Studio blog today. Not only is it fun to see people’s sewing spaces, Pink Chalk Fabrics is giving away 50 (yes, FIFTY… OMGFIFTY) $20 gift certificates. All you have to do is leave a comment (on the Pink Chalk blog) and be entered to win one of 50 $20 Pink Chalk Fabrics Gift Certificates. I know, how crazy awesome! I’m a frequent shopper at Pink Chalk Fabrics - these gift certif’s are priceless!
So head on over and check out my day plus the ones before me. You can even show where YOU sew with the little ADD LINK button on the Where I Sew page (plus see what others have posted). 1, 2, 3… go!
Friday, June 29th, 2012
When I discovered these IKEA Godis Chokladkex treats, I didn’t care what was inside.
All I saw was the wrapper.
I did some research…
… and remembered the Half Rectangle Triangle Tutorial at the MQG website.
My little 8″ x 9″ mini quilt. Or a potholder.
Proving that dessert should always be a priority.
Fabrics: A Stitch in Color by Malka Dubrawsky for Moda
Sunday, June 3rd, 2012
I saw this beautiful and interesting piece on the Royal School of Needlework on this morning’s CBS Sunday Morning. The art of stitchery and history. Too good not to share!
(if the embedded video fails, click here)
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012
Winner, winner! The fat quarter bundle of HMYY give-away has now ended. Thank you all for joining in on the give-away! Using random.org for comments 1-551, the winner of the bundle is: #415 (which ironically is the area code for San Francisco) - yay Robyn!
Thank you everyone for your kinds words (and making me hungry for candy!) and playing along with Lori and me. And thank you most of all to Ayumi - sweet, sweet Ayumi, for sharing her beautiful pattern with us. I got a lot of comments about the Botan Rice Candy, and I don’t know if this is a West Coast thing - but you can find it in the Asian section of your local grocery store. Even in my teenie little Scandinavian town of Astoria - I can find it at my local Safeway and Fred Meyer. Oh Lewis & Clark, you came 200 years too soon and missed out.
Tuesday, January 10th, 2012
… sew more. Sew lots, lots more. Less iMac and more iSew. And boy have I been true to my resolutions. Resolution. The key keeping to resolutions is to set the bar low. Or really, not to even have a bar.
Helping me in my resolution is Lori, and clearly some Sew Cherry cuteness is involved (and having such fun playing with Happy Mochi Yum Yum)!
Some PKM cuteness from Pam is also on my iSew New Year’s resolution!
My sewing machine’s foot peddle is starting to get cold - back to sewing I go (and Pinterest - I never said anything about cutting back on that, expecially since Pinterest was the catapult for this latest project-o-fun!) so I can show more of what we’ve (did I say “we”?) been up to.
Saturday, December 24th, 2011
To all my awesome friends who come to my blog, tweet me on twitter, pin with me on Pinterest, photo with me on Flickr - my heartfelt and warm mushy holiday greeting and wishes for a joyous holiday season to you. Thank you for your kindness and laughs, good cheer and lovin’s - thank you for being a part of my life.
May you be surrounded and squeezed with hugs by the ones you love, with family and friends, goodness and kindness. If your family is far away (like mine are) - may you feel their love from the much too many miles between you. Knock, knock, Santa… jet packs, please.
May your holiday be filled with the childlike joy and good friends who foster it.
May your New Year be filled with kept resolutions and achievable goals. Mine is to stop gosling’ing. I promise.
(Big thanks to QuiltDad for sending me the Zombie Zack!!)