September 16th, 2009
Wow, that’s a lot of f-words in my title. I’ve always gotten a kick out of “fat quarter friendly”… very District 9-ish. Like the fat quarter is either allowed or not allowed to mingle with the other fabrics.
I call the bottom corners “milk carton corners” to make the bag “pooch” out. A poochie corner. I know there’s an official sewing term (boxed corners), but this is what I like to call it. Plus I love milk, and milk in a little carton is just plain cute… and I highly doubt the official sewing term is going to be something cute.
- Moda’s Aviary bag has no boxed corners and is poochless
- Sandi Henderson’s Farmer’s Market bag has 1″ boxed corners to yeild a 2″ pooch
- Lecien’s Flower Sugar bag has 2″ boxed corners to yeild a 4″ pooch
I like a chubby pooch.
“Baby Happy” is the quilt under the poochie bags and my PDF pattern is available here. A freebie from meebie. And fat quarter friendly.
You can get my PDF pattern here. My little pattern is fast, fun and a good use for one’s ever growing fat quarter stash (they’re like bunnies - seriously… WHAT is going on in my cupboards!?). I’ve started a Poochie Bag flickr group - I think it will be fun to see all the fabric combos and what’s put inside the bags. And where the bags are going. And who are they for. And so on and so forth. Hope you have fun!
This pattern that is for someone who knows how to sew. If you’re interested in learning how to sew or quilt and don’t have access to a quilt shop or community college that teaches sewing and/or quilting - here are some good online resources and books to help you get started on the sewing quilting crack.
– All People Quilt
– Sew,Mama,Sew! Forum & Book Shop
– The Practical Guide to Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman
– Complete Guide to Quilting by Better Homes & Gardens
– Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! by Diana McClun & Laura Nownes
– Start Quilting with Alex Anderson by Alex Anderson
Posted in Quilty n Crafty |